A Zimbabwean in South Africa was detained on 9 September for not having the required immigration papers. He was today brought before a magistrate who (as we understand it) granted the police permission to extend his detention by 30 days, on the grounds that Dept Home Affairs claimed they were waiting for an OK from Zimbabwean authorities to deport him.
Can a country refuse to admit its citizens? If the police were willing to release this man on condition he returns to Zimbabwe immediately, this would be arranged without delay. Would a lawyer be able to arrange this?

Category:  Immigration, Home Affairs Issues

Region: South Africa, Western Cape